Wednesday, January 25, 2012


I got my hands dirty this past visit and helped Dave with some framing. The highlight had to be operating the powder actuated fastener to attach the wood blocking to the steel. After being warned by Dave, I got a nice blood blister when the damn thing pinched my finger. All in a days work. Not sure what category of IDP that will go under.

Fun with the Powder Actuated Fastener
"Inspecting" roof joists.  Definitely not OSHA approved.
Having a cold one in the fire pit.

16th Avenue

One of the adventures of this project is the 8 hour car ride down to the farm with Dad. There are a few staples of music that we usually make it through but none as enjoyable as 16th Avenue by Lacy J Dalton. A trip isn't complete without a listen (or two).


Roof framing

D&J have been busy blocking out the webs of the steel roof girders to receive joist hangers and wood I Joist roof framing members. They also were able to install some of the LVLs that compose the edge of the cantilevered roof. The folded roof profile is starting to take shape. I am really pleased that we went through the effort of getting a narrow roof sandwich with no drop beams. This will allow for a continuous wood ceiling to extend uninterrupted from the inside to outside. Nice work Chach!

Approach view from the bottom of the lane
Profile starting to take shape
View out to pasture
Moment connection with roof framing
Detail at upper window head allowing for continuous wood ceiling

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Like a glove

If only 3+ months late and “slightly” over-budget, the steel has finally arrived and is erected.  We had a brief scare with the anchor bolts to the base of the steel columns not aligning during erection.  But with some clever field adjustments and epoxy anchors, we were able to get everything set securely.  The only thing remaining is to finish welding the plates for the moment connections and set a couple of misaligned bolts.  This should be completed in the next couple of days and we will be moving on from our adventures in steel.  The next item on the agenda will be framing the roof to provide some weather protection for the plank and beam cedar floor. 
All in all, the erection of the steel went better than I could have imagined.  After what seemed like an eternity of working through shop/fabrication drawings, structural changes, and a few terse conversations with the fabricators, I would be lying if I said I didn’t have my doubts and second guessing of the decision to go with steel.  I had my nightmares of pieces being incorrectly sized and holes misaligned, but they proved to be for naught. In the end, it was the right decision in that it allows for a column free interior and unobstructed glass on three sides of the house.  
Cheers to Dad for having the patience to work through this process and to D&J and CFE for delivering.