Thursday, June 30, 2011

...and the rain played the tin roof like a drum

There was a major thunderstorm that passed through the Ozarks on Sunday night that was a sight to be seen and heard.  I first awoke thinking there were police cars outside as the lightning flashing was so regular it appeared to be mechanical.  The rain soon followed.  I had forgotten how much I missed the grand thunderstorms that sweep across the Midwest this time of the year.

The rain banging on the tin roof of the old metal print shop we are staying in kept both Dad and me up.  Reminds me of the old Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song where "the rain played the tin roof like a drum".  Or perhaps for the modern generation more like "rain fall[ing] angry on the tin roof"  Whatever the case, it was still quite a symphony and a prerequisite for any dwelling in this part of the country.  Call me nostalgic or just perhaps unrefined, but this is one of the most relaxing sounds to be dinned into one's ear as you lie awake in bed.

Anyways, can't wait to hear the chorus the new house will play on its tin roof.

No comments:

Post a Comment